Saturday, October 28, 2006

Revel CA

If you live in Sacramento, Roseville, Rocklin, or Rancho Cordova, you've seen the signs: Smallish, neon, always in the same handwriting and proclaiming the same unexplained message: Repent CA. One of the signs is constantly torn up in the grass near Hwy 50 and Bradshaw. One blogger termed this "evandalism." Sometimes you can even see a man holding the sign on various traffic- heavy corners of the Sacramento area.

I've always been curious. What does it mean, exactly? I finally googled the phenomenon today to discover RepentAmerica.com--an evagelical, anti-abortionist, anti-gay marriage movement based out of Philadelphia. Near as I can tell, people who donate to this kind of thing end up paying for the jail fines of the founder, more often than not. He's a protester at heart and revels in the conflict between "lawless sinners" (people who disagree with him--sometimes known as cops) and the "righteous."

I'm not a fan of any anti-homosexual propaganda, and this movement's founder in particular seems fairly evangelical, which also rubs me the wrong way. Most evangelics ARE "Evandalists"--so willing to spread their message and so disrespectful of other people's opinions that they will deface public buildings to support their message. These types consider Hell the ultimate threat, but true Christians are not in the religion to avoid eternal punishment. They love God for better reasons.

Human rights are a big thing for me. I choose to support homosexuality rather than discriminate against it. If that makes me a sinner, so be it. God himself couldn't make me change my mind. So instead of repenting... Let's Revel CA!

I don't know if I want to make up my own neon signs... As a joke, it's fine (actually, important) to use the same tactics Mr. Hellfire uses; personally, I dislike them. But neon signs are fairly harmless. And it's just... funny to put up a counter-sign. Much better, in fact, than tearing down the original offending sign.

Come on, California. Revel with me!

3 comments:

coryandfarah said...

Interesting post, Mike. And thanks for linking to my blog. Let's hope that we can have some good discussion as a result. In the world of left and right, good and bad, and right and wrong, it's interesting to think of how many "anti" movements there are out there. "Repent CA" and the "Evandelists" have something to say but it's unfortunate that the message seems to be so negatively-driven; nobody likes to be told to repent or that they are going to hell. I understand what they are against but what are they for? Defacing public property or breaking the law in the name of god as a way to express your truth is never appropriate nor is it effective... but here we are talking about it, huh! Maybe the sole purpose was to create some dialogue. In that case, they are doing their job well. ;) So what are your ideas about how we can revel California? Holding up a sign in opposition could be fun. How about a sign that says "Repent Sign Holders" or "Fight For Your Right to Sin." What is the answer? I wish I knew.

Michael K. Althouse said...

Lacey,

I left a comment on this blog (coryandfarah) and he linked to back to your blog (because I always attribute!) thinking it was mine, I think. Anyway, I left another comment over there to straighten him out - just so you know.

Mike

PS: I met Wayne... Nice guy.

Lacey said...

Coryandfarah: Hehe! I like your opposition ideas. Holding a sign is much less obtrusive than plastering town with our counter message, and it WOULD be fun. :)

Sorry for the blog mix-up. I am realizing I should have posted a comment on your blog to let you know about this conversation too. TDefinately also check out Mike's blog as well if you get the chance.

Mike: Thanks for linking to my blog on your comment despite the confusion. And I'm glad you met my father-in-law. There's no one more fun in all of Colfax. :) I'm probably doing a lot of my Christmas shopping at Weird Gifts!
-Lacey