Friday, August 18, 2006

Snakes on a Plane!


Yes, it's out in theaters today.

No, I'm not going to see it. (Snakes are scary!)

But I support this movie 100%.

I am tickled pink by the internet philosophy that's grown from one Hollywood screenwriter's blog on this very film. Fanatical internet fandom has 1) kept the silly title alive and 2) got New Line a bigger budget and an R rating.

Further, I am deeply satisfied to know that Samuel Jackson does his own thing, to the horror of his agents (and, perhaps, to the horror of the country).

There's an interesting article on the snake handler hired for this movie here. And Jon Stewart's interview just says it all.

I hope this movie does well, because I'd like to see the blogosphere affect the entertainment industry. I want the power given to the people, brothers! But if Joss Whedon's Serenity showed us anything, it's that fanatical internet fandom doesn't guarantee you a box-office smash.

Then again, SoaP *does* have Sam Jackson. That alone may fix the winnings.

What can I say, man? Snakes on a plane.

2 comments:

Lacey said...

As an aside, I might actually have to see this film. It's at the Sacramento drive-in as a double feature with Superman Returns...

Lacey said...

Turns out I did see it.

...It's bad.

Not entirely a waste of my money as I only paid $3 and the heckling was very fun. If you've got smart-mouthed friends, definately take them with you.