Friday, March 03, 2006

Blond periodic table!

This slideshow makes fun of the many blond newscasters we see on TV. According to Slate's Jack Shafer, 20% of the adult female population is naturally blond, while 33% look the part. That number is thrown way out of proportion on the tele. We blonds rule the world, according to TV!

Tha part that really cracks me up is at the very end: Fox lips. I'm a natural blond, and discovered that no lip color other than pink looks good on me. Now that I'm associating that color with the conservative arm of American TV, I think I'll pass...

In typing this, I discovered a struggle within myself: how should I spell "blond" - with or without the e? Certain connotations come with being a "blonde." A blonde is romantic, exotic, and wears Greek sheets. A blond just has ... hair. In desiring not to oversex myself, I'll go with "blond."

And completely unrelatedly, 20 students have been arrested in the latest school crackdown of MySpace. One kid wrote up some threats; 20 classmates were suspended for VIEWING those threats. Poor Costa Mesa. Sorry, kids: do your surfing at home lest you click on a friend's web site and discover by accident that he likes to put babies on spikes.

Freedom of speach for minors is an issue that will explode! How much responsibility can minors truly take for publishing their thoughts, when they may not realize those thoughts are public? In the above case, the boy's blog was for registered friends only. You had to have permission to see it. Therefore the threats were not directed at the person. Does the school have any right to punish him for his private thoughts?

No comments: