Tuesday, February 21, 2006

Sticks and stones

I'm not posting this on the J130 news blogsite, because I don't want it in the face of two sections of J130.

But I'm a little--well--dissapointed in that class. The blogs make it plain that some students, in a journalism major, have a down attitude about learning the basics. I think they're standing on thin ground.

Mike Althouse wrote a blog about this, and really called the shots, and was fun to read. But it offended some, and blogs defending the complainers popped up. The defenses just reminded me of another forum flame... tearing Mike's blog up line by line. I wrote an anti-flame blog before I really saw the dialogue in the comments, which was much more mature than the original responses. He apologized without backing down. I think the short-lived flurry is over.

But there are several things to learn from this. First, apologizing without backing down seems like a great way to do it and still reinforce your message. It felt professional.

Second... Sticks and stones. Commentary needs to be kept in the "words will never hurt me" category. Is that mostly a lesson for the readers or the writers? I don't know. Both, I guess. How do you stir a reaction without making someone take the writing personally? With this particular issue it's hard. Someone's going to look foolish because the message is that someone is behaving foolishly!

If Tom were alive, I'd ask him how he managed to write about the City Council in his editorials and still get the councilors to talk to him. It must be a feat of subtlety and .. good humor, perhaps?

2 comments:

Michael K. Althouse said...

Thank you for your support. I don't know if you saw it yet, but there was another post ("words") in the j130 blog that sort of backed what I said in my "open letter..." post. I sure don't blame you for not wanting to expose yourself to their wrath

I'm glad you recognized that I didn't back down because I meant what I said in the first place. My appology was more an attempt to sooth some fragile egos. Not because they were right, but because I do have compassion and felt sorry for them.

As you surmised, the furror has died down. At least there wasn't any evidence of it in class today, although I doubt that they have the fortitude to open the topic for discussion. My tolerance for whining has not diminished in the least.

I honestly don't care whether I'm liked (by some) or not. I also believe that I did these malcontents a favor that will have one of two results: Either they will find a profession that better matches their talents OR they will toughen up and meet the challenge.

No, I don't expect any thanks from them! ;'}

~Mike

Lacey said...

Hey Mike,
Wrath is every forum-monkey's friend... you've got to be controversial to get responses. But it's easier in a virtual form where no one will see you face-to-face... I was just regretting not making my support clear from the beginning. :)

You're right to say the students have two choices: buckle down or head out. That's what the class was really designed for!

Your compassion is to be admired, for it's hard to have that tough skin and still appear to back down a little.

I wasn't in class on Tuesday due to a bad ankle, but I'm surprised the teacher didn't at least instigate discussion... It would have been healthy, and hopefully academic. Oh well. My generation, even myself included (though I'm trying to emerge from my shell!) are real tuck-your-head-in types when it comes to confrontation...

Lacey